Action Conversations on Race
Every third Wednesday of the month 12-1pm EST, YWCA Greater Pittsburgh’s Center for Race and Gender Equity presents Action Conversations on Race, a panel discussion dedicated to racial justice. Featuring local experts and leaders in fields such as equity and diversity, policy change, and advocacy, these conversations are designed to build community and create change.
Participants can register for upcoming Action Conversations on Zoom or join us through Facebook Live. Scroll down to view our upcoming themes for the Summer 2022 season, as well as links to recordings and resources from previous conversations.
Our Action Conversations on Race take place the third Wednesday of every month at 12-1pm EST.
Materials to help spread the word!
“Don’t Say Gay” legislation and sports bans for trans youth indicate a hostile climate in our schools. BIPOC students who are also queer and/or trans confront the toxic intersection of homophobia, transphobia, and racism. This conversation honors the activist history behind LGBTQIA+ Pride Month as we seek peace, justice, freedom, and dignity for all.
People with disabilities are a large and diverse group. This means that ableism often intersects with other systemic forms of oppression, including racism and gender bias. Our conversation explores “disability justice” as a framework that recognizes the intersectional lives of those with dis/abilities.
Although comprising the second-largest electoral group in the last Presidential election, Hispanic voters have seldom been taken seriously by whitestream electoral politics. This disregard is changing. Our conversation addresses shifts in party identification among Hispanic voters and how registration laws disproportionately disenfranchise Latinx people.
Are you interested in participating as a panelist or do you have a topic idea for an Action Conversation?
Contact Adale Sholock at firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest Action Conversation
Reproductive Justice – May 18, 2022
All links open as PDFs
- October 2021 – Male Allies and White Accomplices
- September 2021 – Censoring Racism in American History
- August 2021 – Empowering Girls in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math)
- July 2021 – Black Family Joy: Reading with Teens and Children
- June 2021 – Women, Children, and Food Insecurity
- May 2021 – Mothers & Daughters
- April 2021 – Racism as a Public Health Crisis
- March 2021 – Black and Brown Women in Jazz
- February 2021 – (Un)Told Stories: Women of Color in Pittsburgh
- December 2020 – Immigration and Racism
- November 2020 – Racial Gaps in Education During COVID-19
- October 2020 – Breast Cancer
- September 2020 – Voter Empowerment
- August 2020 – Housing
- July 2020 – Participating in Local Government
- June 2020 – Inaugural Action Conversation on Race
Our Action Conversations Race are presented by Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield & Allegheny Health Network, with additional support from Peoples and UPMC and UPMC Health Plan. Thank you for your support!
Interested in sponsoring our Action Conversations on Race? Contact Ginny Giles at email@example.com.